A Mom and a Family of Men!

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Creative and Crafty Days...

We have been snuggly and warm with family and friends these past few day. :) Nothing is better than that. With three days off in a row from "normal" school studies we are enjoying each other and our free time. Fun times!

I made cookies without help from my overly helpful little men. They usually are involved in all the meal preparations here at home. Remy can make his own egg now and Elijah is wanting more freedom from my watchful eyes. I just wanted to try out a cookie recipe for gift giving during Christmas. These are so good!

Pistachio - Cherry Sandwich Cookies

ingredients:
1 1/2 cups shelled pistachios
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 Tbs. lemon juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups cherry perserves

1. Process the pistachios in food processor 1 minute, or until finely ground. Transfer to bowl, and set aside.

2. Cream butter and sugar in food processor 30 seconds, or until fluffy. Add egg and lemon juice; pulse 15 seconds, or until combined. Scrape down. Add pistachios, flour, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt. Pulse 15 seconds more, or until combined and dough starts to clump together. Divide dough in half, flatten into 2 disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour, or until firm.

Photobucket

3. Preheat oven to 350. Roll out 1 dough disk on sheet of lightly floured parchment paper, to about 1/8-inch thick. Transfer parchment and cookie dough onto cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Place in freezer 5 to 8 minutes to firm up.

4. Cut out cookies with 2-inch cutter, and place 1-inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Reroll scraps, and repeat. Bake 12 minutes, or until edges are golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough disk.

Photobucket

Photobucket

5. Spread 1tsp. preserves on each of 24 cookies. Top with remaining cookies.

Photobucket

Per cookie:
248 calories
4 gram protien
11.5 grams total fat
34 grams carb
29 mg cholesterol
41 mg sodium
1 gram fiber
19 grams sugars

Let me know if you try them! Remy said they "ROCKED", and Eli said he almost passed out with the first bite. Hee hee...


Remy has driven me crazy waiting on that check for his new books. So I have a new printer/copier and I made that baby some school work. It was so nice to not have him trailing after me and begging for a worksheet. He is so strange. I love that he loves it.

Photobucket

I made him some worksheets, a little reader we made together, and a phonics game. He had it all done in a few minutes, but it hit the spot. He was on to reading whatever he fancied the rest of the day.

Photobucket

Elijah found this book at the library:
Photobucket

Remy and I stayed home and daddy took him to get felt and thread today before he left to shoot a wedding. Eli made this lizard.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

He now understands why I hate to cut out patterns and that sewing takes time. Whew! That was a good one for him to learn. It took him hours to put this little guy together.

Remy and I made this monkey. He says he will do the next one all by himself. This little monkey is named King Kong and he is Abu's (Remy's best friend Monkey's) little brother. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I made Mikey a leaf matching game and this box to put them in.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I even made up new chore charts. The others were dated. :)

Photobucket

I make them up at:

Matthew had a wedding Friday and today, but he is off tomorrow! YAY! :)

Remy was sick one time this morning and he didn't have another instance the rest of the day. I doped him up on vitamins and herbs. :)

Now I am looking forward to my Tofu-Turkey I make on Thanksgiving! YUM-YUM!

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

Yum! Those cookies look so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Those are some great felt crafts! The boys did an awesome job! We LOVE DLTK's crafts and such and visit their site often. I hope that Remy is feeling better. He can't get sick right before Thanksgiving! Hmmm a Tofu-Turkey, now that is one that I have never heard of. You have got to take a picture so that I can see, please. I love learning all of your new recipes.

Mamaclsn said...

Oh my goodness! Remy and Soph WOULD get along so well! With her, every animal has to be paired into mama and baby.

I love making homemade games and boxes to put them in... this post is like a perfect day!HA HA... does everyone get so excited about felt and construction paper?

I love to read about your adventures. Have a great day!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

Rhonda, it is more of a roast as I don't go to the extreme of making the fake legs and stuff. That is just too much. But it is good. Even my meat eater friends and family thing so when they taste it.

Mamaclsn, we have often thought little Soph and Remy would pair together nicely. :) I think of you most times I make games for school. I remember that you love homemade ones. And most homeschooling mamas I know get excited about felt and construction paper. :)

Sherry Gann said...

Hi...I happened upon your blog for the first time today. :)

How old are your boys? Mine is four.

We're going to have to try those cookies and find of copy of The Cute Book. Thanks for the ideas!

Jessica said...

Oh, their little animals are so cute! What a great monkey. I think your boys are just awesome, what fun kids. And those cookies look so yummy!

Unknown said...

Those little critters are darling! I really love that leaf match thing. I think we might have to go for a walk today and find some leaves...