A Mom and a Family of Men!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Curried Red Lentil Soup with Lemon

Photobucket

Oh how I love anything with CURRY! It makes my tastebuds dance!

This soup was also in my new October edition of VT. It was so YUMMY!

Curried Red Lentil Soup with Lemon

2 cups red lentils
1 qt. veggie broth
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped (food processors are our FRIENDS)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (I just chop and add it to mine, MATT hates it.)
1 tbs. curry powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
2TBS. lemon juice

1. Bring the lentils, broth, and 4 cups of water to a simmer in a large pot. Skim away the foam on the top as it forms. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add the cilantro, curry, and cumin, and cook another 20 minutes, or until the lentil are soft. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and stir in lemon juice.

I am a soup girl and this one ROCKED! The kids ATE IT UP!

2 comments:

Kristenph said...

I may have to try this. I love curry too. We eat lentils now with Mexican spice, but another way would be good to add to our menu plan.

www.homeschoolblogger.com/kristenph

Unknown said...

Ani would love that. I don't care for lentils, but I might be willing to try that. I've never had lentils as anything but plain cooked lentils.