A Mom and a Family of Men!

Friday, August 22, 2008

Garden Goodies, Daddy Draws, and a Singing Cicada!

Today was a GREAT day. :)

I woke up to Eli having already done his Math and his language. That folks is just SWEETNESS! :)

Elijah got in on the drawing of the little itty bitty creatures.
Photobucket

In Science we talked about the praying mantis and the origin of its name. How it of course looks like it is praying and the word "mantis" means "false prophet". Because that critter is in waiting, sure he looks peaceful, but he will eat YOU if you are a bug! Elijah says, "yes, but its food is always blessed", HA HA! Yes son, his food is always blessed. They know that fall is right around the corner and to be on the look out for an egg sac. Mom may order them a kit.

When he was done with his work I told Eli that he could go and be free, do as he wishes. This is what I see...
Photobucket
He is ALL into this cake decorating book. The second time he has checked it out. I MUST get him some supplies and let him loose!

Remy and I had our time in the garden today.
Photobucket

We weeded the broccoli, I am having little faith that we will have the actual veggie to eat. And we harvested more okra. Here you can see the flower and okra pods.
Photobucket

I am SO READY for these guys to ripen!
Photobucket

Remy started on his 8th reader today. Snuggly couch reading, nothing is better!
Photobucket

Here is one of the stories he read. He doesn't need me anymore. He reads it and then I ask him what he read about. *sigh* Man I need a new baby!
Photobucket

Remy loves for Matthew to draw with him. This is a recent fast portrait Matthew made of him as they snuggled on the couch. 10 minutes of super fun with his daddy! He aspires to be just like him. :)
Photobucket

I took a photo so you could judge Matt's work. :)
Photobucket


We were at the thrift shop on Wednesday on one of daddy's off days. I found this! Well, Matthew did.
Photobucket

I am a sucker for Indians. When I gave birth to Remy at home years ago I pretended I was an Indian in a warm and snug teepee, with a glowing fire playing off of the walls, giving birth with gentle ease to my second little papoose. It was a magical moment in my head...that I think of often.

When I saw this book I freaked! It is a curriculum of Indian stories that weaves nature study into it! LOVE IT! I hope to start it in the fall with the boys. This is SO up Remy's line of thinking. It is really meaty stuff too! The book was only $1.99.

Well folks, I head out with a song. Remy's singing Cicada! Or crying as Remy says. Enjoy your days each and everyone one of you! :)


5 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

What a great day! Matthew is good!

Mamaclsn said...

WOW! That is some cool trivia about the mantis. And your husband does good work. I love to read your posts!

Jessica said...

I love your birthing analogy. That is perfect! I remember watching a wonderful home birth the day before I had my second and thinking about how sweet and beautiful it was and the song was just so wonderful that as I was laboring in the tub that song kept me thinking about the wonderful thing that was happening. Now I think of that song with fondness when I hear it. Those moments just stick with you and I love natural birth because of it!

Rhonda said...

Did I ever tell you how much I just love your little family? Your days are always so wonderful.

Matthew is a great artist. I have heard that capturing a persons facial features is one of the hardest things to sketch and he did a wonderful job.

I hope that you will post pictures once Eli does decide to make one of his famous cakes. I would love to see it.

Lindsay loved those Abeka Readers and begged me not give them away just yet. She has been reading in them over the summer and really enjoys the stories in them. I guess she will give them up once she begins her first grade readers. *smile*

I enjoyed Remy's video. My girls will not touch those cicadas. Now Lindsay will pick up the biggest earthworm she can find and snatch a lizard off the fence without blinking an eye, but let her hear something that makes any kind of noise and she won't go near it. They are such girly girls sometimes. LOL!

Tisha said...

LOL

I love that Eli said the mantis' food would always be blessed!! That's so funny. I love their innocent little minds. :)

Matthew did a wonderful job on the drawing of sweet Remy!