A Mom and a Family of Men!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What Homeschooling Does for the Parent

I read this in the Home Education Magazine, which was published in the May-June 2009 issue, and the authors are Larry and Susan Kaseman. It really stayed with me as it is something I TRY to get across to those who ask me about homeschooling, but I fail to convey. ;) Enjoy.

"Hanging On to What Makes Homeschooling Distinctive"
As homeschoolers, we are part of a small minority that is, in a sense, in direct competition with conventional schooling, one of the largest, most powerful, and most pervasive institutions in our society. There are fundamental differences between homeschooling and conventional schooling. If we want to be able to take responsibility for our lives and homeschool in ways that will work well for our family, we need to be aware of these differences and act in ways that will maintain these differences and act in ways that will maintain these differences and prevent homeschooling from being reduced to schooling by becoming a small, insignificant part of conventional schooling.

[But] even more important, we become stronger people as we homeschool. Some of our new-found strength comes from life skills we learn by working with our children. As they grow, we catch glimpses of children as they were meant to be: funny, adventurous, challenging, full of life, compassionate. As we interact with them, we begin peeling back the layers that we developed in school: layers we wrapped around ourselves because we discovered that we needed to repeat what someone else said was right, whether we agreed with it or not; layers to protect ourselves from the humiliation of being wrong or stupid or not knowing and answer; layers we developed to survive peer group interactions.

Underneath these layers, we parents find our selves and are surprised at our strengths and abilities. From our children we learn to use common sense, to observe the world around us, to learn what we need to know, make our own decisions that will work, to stop worrying about whether someone else thinks we have the right answer, to stop wondering if we have to know something for a test or what grade we will get. One of the most important secrets of homeschooling is that it's never too late to start, even for those of us who were thoroughly schooled in our youth. We become like the homeschooling father who decided to retire early rather than move to a different state, a decision that was good for his family but reduced his income. He observed that he would not have had the courage to make such a decision if homeschooling had not given him experience in taking responsibility for life decisions.


I can so see the effect of homeschooling on my own life. I started out on this journey to give my children a sound education in God, academics, and in family. I am still pleasantly surprised on some days when I am made aware of how much they have taught me while they have homeschooled. I really cherish this time with my children. I am so blessed that the Lord led me to this path. :)

4 comments:

Sybille said...

Yes, that's right!! Great post!

Sherry Gann said...

Great article; thanks for sharing.
I completely agree. :)

Rhonda said...

I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you so much for sharing. :0)

Heather the Mama Duk said...

So true!