A Mom and a Family of Men!

Monday, October 12, 2009

Spooky Science #1 - Ghost in a Bottle

I came up with an idea to share spooky science experiments with my boys. I have been through all of our science books and found quite a few. :)

Feel free to try them yourself! Excuse my video...I don't know what was up. Matthew said it was picking up EVP, LOL!

Ghost in a Bottle

Materials: Glass Bottle, water, coin or the metal top to the bottle

Instructions:
Place the glass bottle in the fridge and allow it to cool. Before you remove it from the fridge moisten the rim of the bottle with water and place the coin or top upside down on the opening. Have the child place their hands around the bottle to warm the ghost up. As he warms up he tries to get out.

Why it works:
The cold air warms up and expands. It has to go somewhere, so it tried to escape, since the air has outgrown it's bottle. The result is the coin or lid lifting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We did that experiment a couple years ago. I was amazed first of all that it worked, and second of all how cool it was.