A Mom and a Family of Men!

Friday, April 08, 2011

The Bliss it is to be Remy


Remy is so enjoying the spring. The world is coming alive and I can't keep him inside. If I assign him something to do in school time he quickly finishes and runs outside before I notice he is done. I so enjoy watching him. I will sneak to the door and watch him without his knowing. He thrills my heart. :)


One afternoon I asked him to take me on a tour of his collection of visiting "friends".


First up was a water beetle he found in the pool. He put it in an old Sea Monkey tank that he bought at a yard sale once for 10 cents.


Photobucket


Next up was something that warranted his silly terrified look. He bought this habitat at the Dollar Tree and inside it is some sort of spider. He says it is a girl and that she made an egg sac.


Photobucket


Photobucket


He found these insect eggs on a leaf outside and he has them inside of a habitat...waiting to see what they hatch out to be. It looks like a flower on each end!


Photobucket


He found this habitat in the dollar section at Target. He has inside of it his pride and joy at the moment. He tells me this is a Bess Beetle that he found with his friend Elijah when we were visiting them a while back. He also tells me that Elijah is his BEST friend and that they are so much alike. He says that he wishes Elijah was one of his brothers. :)


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


I look forward to learning from my sweet 2nd grader this spring and summer as he explores his patch of earth called home.


I must make a plea to all mothers of a son or daughter that desires to be close to nature in this way. I know how hard it can be to allow it, to be comfortable with it. I was the most girly-girl EVER and bugs EEEEKED me out! Slowly I have been overcoming it. Find field guides, find out what is okay to handle, how to handle them, and how to keep them for at time to observe. Buy or keep anything that can be a habitat. Let them do this. This type of child will make themselves known, I promise, be gentle with them and don't allow your own predisposition to quelch who they are instinctively. We are all wonderfully and fearfully made with our own unique purpose. Don't be caught stifling the ones who have been intrusted into your care. Deeply love them and find a way to love even the parts you can't understand. If you can't, find someone who CAN help them in this area. I am so humbled by my little nature boy. I see things in a way I never would have without him. I am better for him.




1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Wonderful post, Chelita. I was grinning from ear to ear as I saw each photo of Remy with all of his little outdoor friends. I am sure that he is a treasure to watch everyday.